History

ֲýƵ’s College is a Catholic day and boarding school for boys, founded by the Christian Brothers.

Since 1893 it has served the people of Ballarat, Western Victoria and beyond.

The SPC Mission Statement reads, in part, “True to the Catholic tradition the College attempts to promote the development of the whole person through the integration of religious faith with living … we seek to bring about the vision of an authentic Catholic community”.

The College was officially opened on the 24th January, 1893 under the leadership of Br Ryan.

The initial enrolment was 34 students, consisting of 24 boarders and ten day students.

Enrolment in 2023 is 1227 students, including 72 boarders.

The Centenary was celebrated in 1993, and an official history of the College by Br P. C. Naughtin ‘History and Heritage’ was published.

ֲýƵ’s prides itself upon its strong tradition of excellence. ֲýƵ’s College is administered by following the closure of the Christian Brothers’ residence on site in 2012.

If you would like further information about the history of ֲýƵ’s College please contact the College archivist on (03) 5322 4305. Read our EREA Records and Archives policy.

Click here to read a transcript of Br Bill Wilding’s speech which was delivered on March 17, 2013 to commemorate the 120th ֲýƵ’s Day at the College and to acknowledge the work done by the Christian Brothers in that time.

ֲýƵ’s College celebrates 130 years in 2023.